This room at the Main Branch (1800 Stubbs, Monroe) is a collection of local parish history and information as well as rare and special local interest books.
The purpose of Special Collections/Rare Books at the Ouachita Parish Public Library is to collect and house the following: old editions of classics, autographed editions, Louisiana materials, yearbooks from local high schools and universities, out-of-print books by local authors, historical and collectible items. These materials will be housed in the India King Stubbs Room at the Main Branch.
The collection is for use by all adult patrons seventeen years and older. No materials may be removed from the room, . . .Xeroxing is permissible only on selected materials which will not be damaged by the procedure.
- Lee Junior High-- Golden Quill
- Ouachita Junior High-- The Cub
- West Monroe Junior High-- The Confederate
- Neville-- The Monroyan
- Ouachita-- Pelican, Gasser, Roarer
- West Monroe-- Rebelaire
- Wossman-- Excelsior
- St. Frederick-- Warrior
- St. Matthews-- Matthuan
- Old City High School-- Squeedunk
- Carroll High School 1980-81 Bulldog (only one available)
- River Oaks-- Silver Spur
- Northeast Louisiana University-- Chacahoula
- Louisiana State University-- Gumbo
- Southern-- The Jaguar or The Cat (name change)
- Tulane-- Jambalaya
- Louisiana Tech University-- Lagniappe
- Southern State College(Magnolia, Arkansas)-- Mulerider
- Normal now Northwestern-- Potpourri
- Grambling-- Tiger
Various sources of information available on Ouachita Parish and Louisiana history and culture including:
- Louisiana WPA (Work Progress Administration)papers
- Riverside Sanitarium Birth Records
- Peters Funeral Home Records
- Selman Field history
- Delta Airlines history
- Local Civil War information
- Information about most major area floods
- Coca-Cola and Biedenharn Family history
- Biographies of prominent local citizens (including the 2 books Who's Who in the Twin Cities 1931 and Who's Who in Louisiana & Mississippi 1918)
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps in three different formats from 1886-1964
- 3 volumes of Medical History of Ouachita Parish
- Profile and Louisiana Life Magazine (both 1981-1990) important articles on Monroe and area indexed.
- Ouachita Parish Police Jury Minutes
- Ouachita Parish authors
- And much, much more. . .
Various titles From 1830 forward.
Please call the Main Branch-Special Collection Room for more information at (318) 327-1490..
back to top